Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Pompeii


So I just woke up after about a 90 minute nap, and I'm preparing last-minute things for NaNoWriMo, and I can't wait.

I think the two most important midnights in my life are the October 31st to November 1st one and the December 31st to January 1st one.

But, at any rate.

We headed off to see Pompeii today. I used to have a picture book that talked about Pompeii and how it had been buried under ash and lava by Vesuvius. The Pompeiians' problem was that they didn't know that Mt. Vesuvius was a volcano, and some of them paid the price by suffocating to death.

The plaster casts still hang around in glass cases, which, honestly, does nothing for the decor and is more like one of those disgusting things you usually try to avoid. Fascinating, what sort of details can be preserved in volcanic ash for thousands of years, but not exactly something I want to know about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment