Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Greek Birthdays

La mulți ani, Bunica!

I woke up early to talk to Bouchra… Bouchra slept in 4 hours. She's sick. That's her only excuse. And she hasn't slept very well for the past few nights. That's another excuse. But that's about all the excuses she gets.

Dad told me this morning that he downloaded guides to Greek for me and that I'm to learn how to speak it by the time we leave Greece on the 22nd of October.

Totally doable. Once I learn what this alphabet is!

(And I think I've sort of figured it out!)

At any rate, I found a very useful website where it gives me 12 lessons to learn enough to get by in Greek. At least, I'm assuming it does.

We have exactly 4 weeks before leaving Greece. I think that that is enough time to get a grasp of the basic grammar of Greek, and to be able to order a meal or figure out what it is we're buying in the grocery store.

The one thing will be to desensitize myself to what the family thinks (the rest of Greece can think I'm crazy… I'm never seeing most of these people again, in most cases). But the family? I'm going to be living with them for 3 more months 24/7. And after that a few more months in close quarters. And then seeing them for the rest of my life.

I suppose the best way to stop thinking about all this is consider the fact that they're not learning Greek.

Which means that I can take charge of restaurant ordering (should there be any), paying… 

I don't even like doing that in ENGLISH! Well… at any rate something's going to happen, I'll see how it is.

 I finished the Prague blog post… technically it's not a very good one, but we spent four days there, two of which had activities… so I feel justified in having written only 408 words. At any rate, it will be short and sweet. And will have pictures.

In other news… I also wrote 391 words for Pirate Prince. Less than I was wanting to write, but I haven't written in about a week, and I have no idea what happens next.

We spent most of the day with the grandparents as well. Grandma has an iPad, which we taught her to use (ish). We also went to the pool (me for about thirty seconds, Ileana and Ioan for at least 15 minutes). Grandma and I walked down to the beach, where she made me get in the water and swim. A lovely exercise… but too WET. My hands felt really soft/rough afterwards… sort of like a dry softness that was also slightly rugged. That, I think, is from the salt.

I've learned most of the Greek alphabet and the differences between αν before some letters and αν before other letters. One is pronounced 'av,' the other is pronounced 'af.'

Καλινύχτα! Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment