Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Down the River, Day 1

We spent the day today first in a car (interesting, if a bit seasick-inducing), then in a boat (lovely, except sun was everywhere).

Now, I'm in a tent on the beach writing this world at top speed because it's almost nine thirty and I'd like to sleep at some point tonight… also I'd like to conserve my laptop and iPod battery.

So it's early to bed for me— breakfast is at seven thirty.

Anyway. We woke up at about 7, got out of bed at 7:30, put our pajamas into the bags, ate the craziest breakfast ever (the baguettes were stale! And part of mine was moldy!). There were ants in the tea (all drowned), and the butter/margarine wasn't very good.

Still, that was the only breakfast we got and we made the best of it. Dad finished quickly and went back to the room to finish charging the last few things.

Then the guide showed up, talked to us a bit, and as we were finishing, he says, "Where's Mihai?"

"Oh, he's coming."

"Ah, okay."

A pause as the rest of us finish what's on our plates.

"I think Mihai is still asleep."

I think we all tried not to laugh. For Dad to be asleep at this hour? He's probably been awake since 6, trying not to jump out of bed and shake us all awake so that we don't miss the boat!

We reached the boat after driving on a crazily curved road (and in all directions, not just side to side! There were up and down curves, and diagonal ones… in short, nauseous). After driving through the market (specially gathered today for our convenience), we descended into a group of children who were saying "Bon jour!" and "La bouteille?"

I realized they were asking for my water bottle and very firmly (yet politely) said 'non.'

The guide pointed us to the toilet— a gathering of bush where the stalls are large stalks of plant. The front of the 'stalls' is open, and it's a semi-steep walk. 

Okay. That's fine. We can deal with that. It's just like going in the woods!

Except the kids follow us! And I had to go first. And let me tell you, peeing with 15 children looking on is very hard. Mom lured them away with 'photos'— she took pictures of the whole group while Ileana, Ioan, and I were using the toilet, then Ioan took over. I think Dad faired pretty well on his own— everyone was taken with Ioan and one little girl held his hand while chattering to her friend.

On the boat we met three lovely Canadian women— Danielle, a doctor, Chantal, a physiotherapist, and Edith (Eh-deet), a nurse. They speak French better than English, but both Danielle and Edith are quite good at English— sometimes Danielle would turn to us, start speaking in French, and then realize Ileana has a blank look at her face.

I think I could understand about 50%, but then I've been practicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment