Saturday, March 17, 2012

Seabiscuit


Happy St. Patrick's Day!

And congratulations to me for finally actually finishing a Noi6 Blogpost.

I feel very proud.

It's about Cambodia, and a smidgen of what I've learned about wants and needs since then , but it's a post. And that means there's one less thing weighing down on me.

It's a good feeling.

Stress, you see, is stressful, and either because I'm sleepy or because I'm stressed, I feel just a bit loopy whenever it starts getting about 11:30 and I'm finishing up my World.

Speaking of which, how is it possible that I managed to write 1100 words on Cambodia and Thailand, but can't find what to write about for 500 words of what I did today?

Or what I experienced?

Based on that alone, I suppose we'll be discussing horses in this world.

I'm reading Seabiscuit, by Laura Hillenbrand. I suppose it's a biography (if a nonfiction book about a horse's life and the lives of the people around him can be termed a biography). And it's riveting. But it's also hard to read.

Simply because it is a biography, covering decades of information on races, jockey weight-loss techniques (I think I put the book down about ten times during Chapter 5, trying to get the images out of my head), horse lineages, jockey injuries, notes on automobiles in San Francisco… well, it's a lot to absorb in 200 pages (as I'm only halfway through).

So it takes a long time. And it's not a little bit draining, let me tell you.

But, through all of this, it's a riveting, interesting book that captures me.

I've always loved horses. When I was little my Mom played a Solitaire game and told me to make a wish.

I'd been wanting to play computer, and I was about to write it down on the slip of paper, but instead I changed my mind and decided I wanted to have a real, live horse.

When Mom won the Solitaire game, I started crying. We leased Soupy from our riding instructor that summer. It was bliss.

But I've grown a tad more practical since then. I love horses. They're beautiful, fantastic, sensitive animals. But they're a luxury animal. You can't do much with one besides ride it or drive it. And the upkeep and space are very nearly prohibitive. I highly doubt I'll ever actually own a horse, firstly because I don't think I could find a stable as wonderful as the first one we went to, and secondly because I don't think I could justify the cost.

It was a bit bittersweet realizing that. Of course, if I ever have daughters (or sons) who are as passionate about horses as I was, then I'll find them a riding instructor and a place to ride. But I probably won't be seeking it out myself. There's a few other things on top of horse-back riding for me, at least currently.

No comments:

Post a Comment