Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Revelation and Update


Last night while trying to fall asleep I had a revelation that makes sense, but that I haven't been able to accept until now.

It doesn't matter what I'm going to be doing in a year or so! It doesn't matter which college I'm going to or what I'm going to study (though I think I have a general idea), or whether or not I've  finished the psychology book before April or not.

I'm on a trip, and I'm going to enjoy it while I have it.

Traveling in a camper van is different from anything else. It's slow and wobbly and bouncy and bumpy and very noisy. Only this morning we were squatting on the floor while Mom and Dad were driving (Dad refuses to do it without a co-pilot, and I don't blame him), trying to muffle the sound of a pan and grill which were banging against each other. One slips and slides when the camper van moves, and while it's hilarious when you're bouncing around, it's not fun.

I managed to read some French today. Not nearly what I would have liked to, but that's another story. It gets easier as you go along… I couldn't get the first two sentences for ages and had to read the English translation to make sense of it. But further on, things got easier, and it was actually pretty simple to make sense of things.

The only thing I regret is the fact that I didn't get to read more… we stopped at a campsite and got internet… and internet has a terrible way of sneaking up on you. I managed to upload most of the Worlds so far— I'm into March, but then it was dinner time.

We actually made one of the guys who came in for internet 'very hungry.' It's a bit regrettable he didn't say anything until after the dishes were washed, because none of the five of us were very hungry at all (Rice with tomato paste and chicken soup with noodles… very filling when you're not hungry).

You can only really tell the camper's small when everyone is in the back at the same time, or everyone is getting ready for bed. Then it's all very crowded and annoying. But other than that, it's really quite comfortable. 

I started using Google SketchUp in earnest today. I'm still figuring out a basic idea of everything in Step 1 of the 'Dream House', but I know where the staircase is, and I have a pantry hidden underneath it. I could probably also store books underneath it, but I'm not sure if I want to. Speaking of which… would you organize your books by color? People say it can't be done when you're actually using the books, but I think I could prove them wrong. In fact, I'm sure of it. I had a talk with Katie G from my writing group about it and other things. She's lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment