Saturday, March 10, 2012

Games and Books


We found Leslie and Ben (his name is Ben) on the side of the road today and picked them up… for about ten hours of driving all through Southwest New Zealand. We stopped at Lake Matheson (found the cutest little black and white fluffy bird!), Fox Glacier (a lovely walk through forested areas for a spectacular view of mountains coming out of lakes), and a couple other places just on the side of the road.

One can't do much of anything in the back of a camper van on serpentines when there are too many people to actually stretch out and it's a bit rude to bury yourself into a book. (More on this later!)

So we played games and talked.

We played Entanglement, an iPad (as well as online) game that requires a bit of strategy and a bit of good eyesight. The object of the game is to get the most points from creating a very long path. You create the path by rotating a hexagonal tile that has paths on it. It's complicated to explain, but really easy to understand. Mastery takes a while, but it's also based on luck of the draw. We played a 5 player game, then moved on to Yahtzee!, the clapping game, and the picnic game (both of which are word game).

Ileana played guitar, Ben played guitar, we looked out at the scenery (the sun was beginning to set by the time we reached Winaka, and the clouds and mountains looked spectacular).

And it was very very nice to have made some friends!

We had a bit of a problem parking the camper van (kept going onto the grass), but otherwise it was fantastic and we had plain pasta with spaghetti sauce for dinner. YUM.

I said I was going to talk about books.

I'm currently reading… six at one time. Though Les Trois Mousquetaires doesn't actually count, as it's in French, the fact remains that I'm reading all these books at one time and I'm not actually that interested in them. Oliver Twist is very… cruel. I've read Pride and Prejudice. And An Outback Marriage (Banjo Patterson… it was in the romance section and Chris from Thailand told me how famous he is in Australia… so double points) is a bit off at the moment. The Arabian Nights (the compilation by Andrew Lang) seems too well-known at the moment. And unfortunately I'm not in the mood for fairy tales. And The Children's Book, which I haven't gotten past pg 5 on.

I don't know. It's a bit like the only thing I'm really into reading right now is the sort of frothy stuff that doesn't really get me anywhere. I don't mind, in a way, but in another way I keep thinking I should be be reading Oliver Twist or finishing Pride and Prejudice, but I can't seem to get into them. Even though I love Pride and Prejudice. Even though I know that Oliver Twist has to get better.

Ah well. Tomorrow I'll finish one book.

No comments:

Post a Comment