Wednesday, March 21, 2012

100 Days


This will be the 100th post on this blog. 

When I first started it, it was going to be easy. I was going to churn out 500 words a day, about the interesting culture bits I had encountered, the strangest occurence that had happened that day, the newest cuisine we'd tried… after all, going around the world, one will encounter something wildly exciting every day. And when one doesn't, there's so much stuff from days before that you never have an uninteresting post!

Right?

Wrong.

I had a few off-days. And then in Thailand I was forced to think. Often. And hard. And in New Zealand, I'd frequently forget until about 11 pm that I had to write anything at all— generally right after thinking "I'll go to bed and read that lovely book I've been wanting to finish," or "And then I can snuggle in and sleep."

But no. A promise is a promise is a promise, and for some reason this is one of the ones I'm keeping.

At times I think it's one of the stupidest promises I've ever made. It's like decided to sketch one thing a day, only the sketches fall apart after three days. This has gone on for a hundred, and if I get used enough to it, it will probably go on for a thousand, detailing for my grandparents exactly what I've been up to at college. If I somehow carry it on through the years, it will tell my grandchildren how nutsy I was at seventeen!

Dad once wanted me to write a short post about 'why I wanted to go around the world.'

I didn't, actually, so I sat down and spewed off something based on the fact that one of the one things I was looking forward to was living in a camper van in Australia.

To be honest, looking back on it… I think to myself I sound like an idiot. It's not true. And there's nothing on it about looking back when I'm 26. (The post is here: http://noi6.blogspot.com/2010/07/slice-of-world.html )

Now, perhaps, if I could go back in time and tell myself some things, it would be:

1) You will not want to share that slice with people when all that is in that 'slice of the world' is watching TV all day. 

2) You will tear your hair out.

3) None of the things on that list will be as interesting as they were when you wrote them down. A camper van is crowded and Christchurch is almost like any other city.

4) The most important thing you will learn will be after five months or so— a) You don't need to worry about what happens next. You still will, but you don't have to.

5) You'll plod through sharing with everyone because, let's face it. You are one of the luckiest kids you know. And not sharing would just be plain selfish.

No comments:

Post a Comment