Monday, January 2, 2012

Packing In Its Diverse Forms


We've been in Goa for about 13 days, in which, naturally, we spread ourselves out as humanly possible.

I already feel as if I don't have enough room in my backpack (I added leg warmers, a shirt, and leggings to my bags… when did those get so much bulk?),and it's ridiculously heavy. This could be because of how I'm putting things in, but that doesn't make it any worse trying to stuff everything in. It used to be that my bag was heavy… but it was also rather empty. Now it's one but not the other. 

It's kind of funny to see where my things end up at times… one day I was using my pen, got up, came back, and it wasn't there.

"Okay," I think, "It'll show up."

For the rest of our trip (and this was at the beginning, mind), I saw neither hide nor hair of that pen. When I asked Dad today if he'd seen it, up goes a bag (which had just been moved to the floor), and lo! The pen!

The sheer amount of things that goes into bags or has to be stuffed in at a precise angle and pressure is enormous. The places we have to check, (under the bed, in all the drawers, repeat), the things we have to double-check (power connectors, iPods, laptops, iPad, taxis), the things we carry (food), all these things are usually done the night before or on the day we leave.

The few minutes before we go out the door are an amalgamation of 'did you get this?', 'are you sure you checked that?', 'the taxi's here!', 'put that on properly!', and 'HURRY!' It's a rush, getting on backpacks, helping other people put on backpacks, and grabbing various smaller details.

 Speaking of backpacks, I'm not sure if it's Mom and Dad's backs or if their backpacks are just a lot heavier, but they don't sling their backpacks on like normal people— it's a process of setting the backpack down (or getting someone to hold it up), getting down to its level, squeezing into the arm holes (while in half a bridge), and then standing up slowly, arranging the coat, and then leaving. Now, naturally this can be done in a hurry, but it's funny.

As we go outside, lock the doors, etc, we will at times realize that we forgot the food. This means that, as everyone else is getting into the taxi, one of us will have to unload their backpack quickly, and run back to the room to get the food.

After the pain of stuffing things into backpacks, getting the backpacks on, forgetting the food, and putting things into the trunk of the taxi…

There is also the problem of packing four people into a backseat… usually holding another two backpacks (because no trunk is big enough for our luggage! Not in this part of the world)… and not to mention that on long car trips, we've also got water bottles and a diverse amount of electronics open.

No comments:

Post a Comment