Friday, December 30, 2011

The Traveling of a Spider


I think there is a spider in the house that has been there since we moved in. It's about the size of a pinky nail, a brownish-grey color, with a large bottom and a small head. Think Charlotte from Charlotte's Web, but browner. And probably smaller. And not so talented.

It hasn't spun a web yet… but it's been climbing the walls. Maybe it's just been looking for a comfy place to make a home for the past ten days.

It came into the house one day by crawling on the north wall of my bedroom. It wasn't bothering me, and I wasn't sure how to take it outside, so I let it stay. Over the next couple of days, the spider crawled up the north wall, back down again, and then onto the floor.


It slowly traveled from the bottom of the north wall to the other end of the room, underneath the air conditioner on the east wall.

The next day, I can't find it at all. Assuming that it somehow managed to escape through a window, I didn't think any more of it.

The next day, as I come out to say good morning… there is the spider, on the floor, looking normal as anything.

"Hello!" I exclaim. (And later, "Yay… a spider!")

That afternoon, it climbs on the north wall just outside the bedroom— the one just opposite the bathroom, at eye level.

The corridor leading to the bathroom, in my opinion, is definitely not wide enough to get away from a spider that is at eye level.

It doesn't matter that I was living with a spider crawling all over my room for three or four days… but I was always able to walk around it. And it also doesn't matter that I greeted it as a well-known acquaintance.bIn such a narrow hallway… coming almost face to face with a spider… it's rather unsettling.

By the next day, the spider had switched walls and was now scaling the south wall of the hallway. Last I saw it, it was up near the ceiling. But that was a few days ago. It might have reached another wall by now.

The reason the spider was not removed from the house the first moment I saw it is because we have reaaallly pretty glasses and no looseleaf paper. And it's quite hard to remove a spider without both of them.

Besides, I didn't really mind the spider enough to want to kill it or move it.

And what did that specific spider ever do to me?

Another reason was that I remembered a very interesting fact:

The average human swallows eight spiders a year.

Now, I'm assuming they're all pretty small, but I have to make up my quota sometime, and if the spider I've been seeing all around the house is actually three or four or five siblings, well then, so be it.

I must have swallowed quite a lot of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment